Since the customer will order the elements I ordered a nRF51 dongle so I can play with programming it before starting “proper” work on it.
The device came today and I tried to flash a blinky example which is more or less an easy thing… on Windows. But I wanted to do it on Mac OSX so … here are the findings:
1. Download the J-Link software from SEGGER webpage – Mac OSX version, obviously.
2. Under developer on Nordic web page download latest SDK (you might need to create an account there – by using My Page on their home page).
3. Go to <SDK directory>/components/toolchain/gcc and correct links in Makefile.posix (if needed).
4. Go to <SDK directory>/examples/peripheral/blinky/pca10028/blank/armgcc and compile the code with make command
5. The easiest way to upload the code to the dongle is to use the nrfjprog.sh script and the syntax is ./nrfjprog.sh –flash <hex code>. You might need to reset it before that with ./nrfjprog.sh –reset.
6. Voila – it should work 🙂